Search

Thursday 28 April 2011

I'm going to remember my first cigarette smoking experience: Bipasha Basu


She's reportedly single and stars in 'Singularity'. The Roland Joffe film may well be her global gateway to cinema, though Bipasha Basu is expressly excited over her portrayal of Zoe in the Rohan Sippy helmed 'Dum Maaro Dum,' wherein she essays an air hostess who takes solace in drugs. Chitchat with Bipasha on Dum Maaro Dum and Singularity.

In 'Dum Maaro Dum', you're playing Zoe, an aspirant airhostess. A child of mixed parentage, she finds herself going into despair. What attracted you to this part in the first place?
Well, I think the narration was fantastic. It is a very modern, new age kind of thriller. The kind of treatment note that Rohan gave me was very exciting. I knew I would be presented in a very new manner, which they gave me glimpses of. They had storyboarded the film. That was also very exciting because they gave me the total 'look' of the film. And they also made me listen to a little bit of the background score that they were planning… the old Portuguese, Goan songs.

What made the character of Zoe exciting to you?
Well, this type of character is interesting because it's not a typical, quintessential heroine, but she is a character. It is a very human role. It shows that human beings can be flawed, that they can make mistakes in life and that there is a learning process to them. And it's very beautifully done. There is a lot of human drama, but at the end it is still a thriller.
So the empathy factor is what attracted you to the part?
Yes, absolutely. There is also a newness to it, because there was going to be a fresh casting of Rana (Daggubati) opposite me. Prateik is also a new face. And Abhishek and I also got something new to do. So all in all, it sounded really, really fresh.

This is the first time you're sharing the screen with Prateik and Rana. As a co star, what do you think are their strong points?
I think Prateik is very honest as an actor. His role is that of a very vulnerable boy and he's done really well. Rana has got tremendous screen presence. And again, the casting has been correct. What both had to deliver, I think both have managed to, because I've seen the movie.

The Goan government was very concerned about the depiction of Goa as a hotbed of drugs, alcohol and illicit sex. What's your response to that after having done the film? Do you feel that is how Goa has been represented in the film?
Well, the film is a fictional story. It could actually be placed anywhere, in any city because we're talking about the drug mafia and how they work. It would be really foolish if we think that it's pertaining only to Goa. So there are no fingers pointed at Goa particularly, but it has been used to add flavour to the characters. Basically, in terms of shooting it gives you a very beautiful visual backdrop for a film. So, that's why Goa.

The tabloids played it up in a major manner that you were quite disturb with Deepika Padukone for hogging the credit for the 'Dum Maaro Dum' track. But you cleared it up on Twitter...
Well, the tabloids say a lot of things; you have to take it with a pinch of salt. You can't be answerable to everything that is written about you. They sometimes paint a very different picture of you, rather than what you are. But I've been in the business for many years, so I'm used to it now. I just believe that the title track is interesting and it has been accepted. It was supposed to be the first PR peg for 'Dum Maaro Dum' because it is the title track and that's how it was. So I had to tweet about it. It's a part of my film and I like it very much.

Give me one memorable incident that you will take back with you as an indelible memory associated with the making of 'Dum Maaro Dum?'
Yes, something really funny happened. Actually, I'm a big time anti smoking crusader and this film is about drugs. Zoe actually falls into the trappings of drugs. There was one scene where Rohan wanted me to roll a joint and pretend to smoke it. For that he said, 'This is the tobacco. This is the paper. Now you learn how to roll and you have to smoke in the film.' And I was like, 'I don't smoke'. So he said, 'Then learn!' I have gotten out of this in many a film before, like 'Corporate' and 'Jism'. I actually got it out of the script. But here, there was no escape, so I tried to do it. I was really bad at the rolling bit and then the smoking was awful. When we actually got to shooting the scene, Rohan said, 'You don't have to smoke. I think I can do without the smoking. So I was like, 'Why did you make me smoke?' So I'm going to remember my first cigarette smoking experience, which was not very good, thanks to Rohan Sippy.
As preparation for your role, did you meet up with any drug addicts in real life to get a feel of how to depict Zoe onscreen?
No, not really. She's not so hard into it that she's gone. It's just that she takes it because she's depressed in life. So, she has a sense of control, but she needs it. She needs the drugs to be normal, but it's not like an extreme case of drug addiction.

What do you think is the USP of the movie? And how would you describe Rohan Sippy as a director?
I think he's got a keen sense of making very modern films. He's excellent in giving finer points to each character. His story telling sense is really great and very 'today'. The dialogues are not verbose. It's just like the way we speak. I think that's what attracted me to the script, all these qualities of Rohan Sippy.The USP of the film would be the totality – the way it's shot, the screenplay, the story, the fresh chemistry of the actors, the music. All of it!

What's new with Abhishek Bachchan in the film? How do you describe yourself vis à vis him in the movie?
Well, he's playing Inspector Kamath and he's not the typical cop. 'Dum Maaro Dum' has nothing typical about it. The tagline of the film is 'kya hain kahaani tere paap ki?' So every one of us is a little bit of a devil. We have to deal with our internal demons in the film and we get judged by the end of it.

Abbas Mustan's 'Players' is going to be the first film to be shot in the Arctic Circle. A little about it…
Very exciting, but I don't know how I'll survive in 35! When it's 16 degrees, I die. I don't know what will happen in 35.

You worked with Abbas Mustan in your debut movie 'Ajnabee'. You've improved as an actor. Do you think Abbas Mustan have changed in some ways as directors?
Absolutely. Their looks are very deceptive. They are fabulous directors and they make films to the year that they're making the film for. They are right now making an adaptation of 'The Italian Job' and I think they have taken it higher by several notches. It's absolutely going to be a 2012 big release.

You're doing Roland Joffe's 'Singularity', which was earlier called 'The Invaders'. Which title do you think is more apt and why?
'Singularity' for sure, because it suits the film, the story, the plotline. And now, I have lived with it. I've gotten attached to 'Singularity'.

How would you describe Roland Joffe as a director?
He's a total actor's director. Very soft guy who's very, very sensitive to his actor's needs, which sometimes does not happen here. He believes in giving the actor the time to focus and he gives you the freedom to behave the way you want to as the character. He helps you in workshops. He's just brilliant. Working with him has definitely been a step forward for me.

You're playing Tulaja Naik, this Marathi warrior girl. It's a very different genre that you've attempted. How did you prepare for the role?
We had workshops where we did readings. We also did familiarity sessions with other actors. We did very basic exercises which happen in acting school which I had never been to, but everyone else had. This is where you actually get rid of all your inhibitions. Also introducing each other as the character or the part you're playing and not the person that you are. So we had some very interesting workshops. There was action training and more. Now I'm going for it again. It's going to be exciting.

1996, you won the Ford Supermodels Contest at age 17, went abroad, started working. You were told not to show yourself as an Indian but as a Hispanic. Has much changed since then?
Yes.

In what sense? Do you think racial favoritism is much less today?
In today's times, Indian exotica is widely accepted. At that time being Hispanic was very cool, but now being an Indian is cooler to the West.

You've done fitness videos. You're out with your 'BB Love Yourself' clothing line. When is your organic food business going to start?
It will take some time because I have to actually give some time to it. Everything that I do has to be my baby. I have to work on it myself.

Also, you wanted to start a make up line for dusky women. A lot of dusky women look up to you…
Yes. It's going to happen hopefully. Everything is going to happen. Everything happens at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment